You've been hearing about turmeric for awhile. But have you added it to your diet in a meaningful way? This recipe is an easy, delicious solution. You can say goodbye to that afternoon coffee and substitute this in. But first, a quick reminder of why it's such a superfood!
Turmeric is an ancient root that has been used medicinally in India and China for centuries. It is loaded with anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties thanks to the chemical compound curcumin. There is a lot of research being done on the positive health effects of turmeric. So far it has been linked to:
- Reducing chronic inflammation and pain. It even has an effect on the management of Rhumatoid Arthritis, an auto-immune disorder that is very challenging to treat.
- Controlling Diabetes and lowering blood sugar levels.
- Managing Depression: In a controlled study out of India, turmeric was as effective as Prozac at managing depression, without any of the negative side-effects.
- Reducing skin irritations, redness, blemishes (thanks to those anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial compounds!)
- Increasing Memory function (good news for those of us who suck at Suduko!)
- Inhibiting Cancer cell growth and boosting the immune system to help fight cancer
1/4 cup organic powdered turmeric
1-2 teaspoons organic ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 cup organic coconut oil
1/2 cup warm milk (whole, almond, hemp, coconut)
Honey, cinnamon, cardamom to taste
1. Add the first three dry ingredients, plus 3/4 cup of filtered water to a small saucepan and heat on low for 5-7 minutes. Stir often and if the paste becomes too dry add more water, up to another 1/2 cup.
2. Remove from heat and stir in the coconut oil until combined.
3. Add 1 teaspoon to a mug, with 1/2 cup warm milk, 1-2 teaspoons of honey, a dash or cinnamon or cardamom and top it off with boiling water. Enjoy!
Once you make the turmeric-ginger paste, you can store this in a covered glass container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. This first step takes less than ten minutes and provides you with enough paste to enjoy for weeks.
Note: the addition of black pepper and coconut oil are essential, as they make the compounds in the turmeric more absorbable. So don't skip these ingredients!